Skip to main content

How do I ask a Judge for more time to find legal representation?

Houston, TX |

I am going through a custody battle without sufficient time to find an attorney. I recieved notice to be in court in 7 days and need more time. This is the first time we would be going to court.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It sounds like you received notice of a hearing on temporary orders. Give me a call and I can refer you to someone who can meet with you in time to attend the hearing.


If you do not find a lawyer in time, you would simply appear at the hearing and ask for more time when you check in with the judge.

Good luck.


Many judges will feel that 7 days is plenty of time to find an attorney and hire them. There are family law attorneys throughout Houston, Texas.

Check out this website and If you "google" "Harris County family law attorney" or something similar, approx. 1 million results pop up, so claiming that you can't find an attorney, just won't work with the judges.

You can also go to the Family Law Center at 1115 Congress or the Civil Courthouse before your hearing date and observe family law attorneys "in action".

Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer