Skip to main content

How do I apply for DACA without birth certificate or passport?

Alameda, CA |

I'm undocumented child that came to the USA before the age of sixteen. I'm an adult now but not above the age of thirty.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Hi: I changed the practice area on your question to immigration. I believe that is where you will get a better answer.


You should get your birth certificate and a passport. You can usually get both at the consulate from the country in which you were born. You would need to otherwise be eligible, from your post, you mention that you meet 2 of the requirements but there are a couple other requirements.

This answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on as each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.



You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


The requirements for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals are here, read closely and seek assistance from an excellent attorney with experience who has done a lot of DACA cases. See link below.

If you take a close look at the website and instructions, you will find a list of documents for proof of identity:

Passport or national identity document from your country of origin
Birth certificate with photo identification
School or military ID with photo
Any U.S. government immigration or other document bearing your name and photo

If you do not have these documents, you will need some way to prove your identity. If you can, get a family member or other person to go to the Vital Statistics office or government records depository in your country of origin to obtain a CERTIFIED copy of your birth certificate . Once you have that you can go to the foreign consulate here in the US from your country of origin and try to obtain a passport. Consult with an excellent attorney to help you with any of these issues, do NOT try to file DACA by yourself and you will also need to confirm you are in fact eligible and it makes sense for you to apply. It is not for everyone and depends on discretionary factors as well; Search Avvo.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his profile; attorney number: 281-733-2875.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer