Skip to main content

How do i appeal a court order for an interlock device from one state(fl) because where i live now (wi) does not require it.?

Fredonia, WI |

fl ha s the no wait law. wis does not. wis wont give me a lisence until i comply with fl reinstatement requierments. i have been without a DL since july/09

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You probably cannot appeal the court order because the timeframe for appeal has long since passed. Contact the Florida DOT to determine what you need to do reinstate your license in Florida. You will not be able to get a Wisconsin license until the Florida license is reestablished.

This is not intended as legal advice. It is only provided for educational purposes and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Further no attorney client relationship is or has been formed by answering this question.


Dear ?,

It makes no difference in your case what the Wisconsin law on interlock is because the order was not issued by a Wisconsin court. Almost all states have signed on to an interstate driver's license compact which requires them to honor the orders of a different state.
It is way too late to appeal your Florida case, so you must find out how to reinstate your Florida license according to Florida's requirements and get it reinstated before you can apply for a Wisconsin license.

Yours sincerely,
Tim Provis
Cal. Bar No. 104800
Wis. Bar No. 1020123
Member: U.S. Supreme Court Bar


You would have to address the Florida court order in Florida rather than Wisconsin where the courts would have no jurisdiction over an out of state charge.

While the deadline for an appeal is likely past, there may be some mechanism whereby a petition for sentence modification could be pursued. You will need to discuss that with an attorney in Florida however.