Skip to main content

How do I adopt my adult step-son?

Baltimore, MD |

I've been my stepson's "father" since he's been four years old. His biological father has been out of the picture since before then. Now that he is 18, I'd like to find a way to legally adopt him. Now, here's the tricky part. Me and his mother are in the process of getting a divorce. I'm not looking to adopt him "away" from her (we're still friends). It would just mean a lot to my son (and me) that we could finally say that we're REALLY father and son (and of course his mom would still be his "legal mother" as well). Does this make sense? Any advice would be apprecited. Thanks...

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 1


I am not licensed to practice law in Maryland, but in Washington it would be a pretty simple procedure. The adoption petition would need to be signed by both you and your stepson's mother. Her signature would be for the purpose of preserving her legal relationship with her son. Also, your stepson would need to sign a consent to adoption. Since he is an adult, you would not need his biological father's consent or a social worker's report.

You can find skilled adoption attorneys who are licensed to practice in your state at the website of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys. I have placed a link to this website below.

Best wishes!