How do I add a middle name to my legal name?

Boynton Beach, FL |

I live in Palm Beach County, Floridia. I'm 66 years old & have used a middle name for the past 50 years on all my documents....bank accounts, charge cards, home deed, bills etc. I recently found out there is no middle name on my birth certificate. How can I make the middle name I've used all these years as my legal name? Is it very involved and expensive? How do I go about it by myself since I can't afford attorney fees because I live on a fixed income and can't afford the hourly rates that an attorney would charge. Thanks so much in advance for your time and help.

You can file a petition for a change of name. Then you publish the new name in the paper for 4 weeks. Next you go to court and the judge asks you questions to make sure you are not trying to defraud creditors.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law that should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

You can't avoid getting a court order. It's possible to do this without a lawyer. Talk to the court clerk.

DISCLAIMER - THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED. THIS IS FOR GENERAL INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY.