Skip to main content

How do I "take over" my Deceased Grandmothers reverse mortgage?

Philadelphia, PA |

My grandmother has been deceased for 3 yrs, no one else in the family has any concern for it. I am assuming proof of relations, also is there a way to get some sort of inheritance document for the house?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


As I read your question, a Power of Attorney is not the answer. Powers of Attorney cease at death.

At this point, you need to have someone be appointed as Personal Representative (Executor or Administrator - only difference is with or without a Will).

Until someone is appointed in that capacity, another 3 years will pass again.

Good luck,


John B. Whalen, Jr., Esq. provides free initial home consultations seven (7) days per week, including all evenings, weekends, and holidays, from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM. Mr. Whalen is an AV Peer Review Attorney and Counselor at Law, is listed in The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, and is Avvo Rated 10.0 Superb. Mr. Whalen has spoken for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute and the Delaware County Estate Planning Council, and has had his legal articles published by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the Pennsylvania Law Weekly, and the Martindale.Com website, and he has had his law blogs published on the Lawyers.Com website.

Although we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail, please remember that this information is for informational purposes only, and does not create and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This website is not intended to be the rendering of legal advice for specific cases, you should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel, and you should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.


You would have to start a probate proceeding and be a beneficiary in order to inherit the house. You would then have to qualify for the reverse mortgage.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


If the house was titled in your grandmother's name alone, who has been paying the taxes on the property since she died? A tax lien could take the property for the local government to sell at a sheriff's sale.

If she had a surviving spouse, and the house was titled to them as tenants by the entireties, the house now belongs to her surviving spouse without the need for an estate to be opened.

If your grandmother shared title to the property with anyone else, that person (or those people) would have a claim to at least their proportionate share of the property -- and if they were joint tenants with right of survivorship, your grandmother's interest in the house passed to the other owner(s) upon her death.

Of course, as with all of my online answers, my advice is limited by the brevity of your question and the facts provided. Additional information would be required to provide definitive legal advice, so this answer isn't intended to, and does not, create an attorney-client relationship.

Good luck!

If you feel this answer has been helpful, please consider checking the "mark as helpful" box below.