Skip to main content

How do i collect back wages from a wages public work projects. They will not return calls should I contact GC. 2 years back

Sacramento, CA |

Helped out an old friend and was not compensated properly. Used own vehicle parts etc. The nice guy always loose. What if anything can I do. They paid me $30. Or less with out a pay schedule. My hours logged were different from pay.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I would suggest you contact an employement law attorney familiar with Labor Department complaints and public works projects as they require you be paid prevailing wage by certain guidelines that are different than those applicable to regular employees. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Barron Law Corporation Sacramento & San Francisco. 916-486-1712 or 800-529-5908. Email Deborah at: No attorney client relationship is created by this answer.


It will make a difference whether you were hired as an independent contractor or as an employee. Please see my Avvo guide detailing which workers are employees and which workers are independent contractors:

If you were hired as an employee, you can pursue a claim via a private attorney or via the DLSE. The Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE) is a sub-agency within the California Department of Industrial Relations. Some people refer to the DLSE as the Labor Commissioner. The DLSE enforces California's wage and hour laws, including those pertaining to overtime, rest and meal breaks, and more. The link for information on filing a wage claim is here:

To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in California, please go to the web site of the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA). CELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the state for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is Click on "Find a CELA Member" and you can search by location and practice area. Many CELA attorneys represent clients throughout the state.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best. *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer