Skip to main content

How do Constitutional and Procedural Errors from an arrest effect Criminal Proceedings and Trial?

Little Rock, AR |

I am a criminal defendant. I have been awaiting reial for nearly 3 yrs. There are several civil rights and due process violations stemming from my initial arrest. How can I get my attorney to properly bring these issues to light? He is making no effort to address these violations. I do not want to waive anymore rights and am unsure how to assert myself properly.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You should address these concerns directly with your counsel.;; 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You've asked a ton of questions and revealed that you have counsel. Your attorney should be your sole source of information and advice with respect to your case. You do not indicate whether counsel is privately retained or a member of a public defender organization/court appointed. If he/she is in the later category then you are in a tough position. You may be able to request substitute counsel but you are going to have to be able to back up your claims about counsel's failures. If you have privately retained counsel you need to have a serious discussion with him/her. If you are unable to come to an agreement on the handling of your case you need to interview and hire your own replacement attorney. I would keep a detailed record of your interaction with your attorney/attorneys so that you will be able to substantiate your claims in the future, if need be.


If counsel is court appointed, tell the Court that you are dissatisfied with the representation you are receiving. If you have hired counsel, hire someone else.


If you have thoroughly discussed these issues with your counsel and he has not brought them to the court's attention he may have a good reason for not doing so. It may be that although you believe there are issues to raise, they are not legally valid issues in the eyes of the court. I would suggest that you have your attorney explain to you exactly why he has decided not to raise the the civil rights and due process issues that you believe clearly exist in your case. If at the end of the day you are not satisfied with his answers then you can always attempt to obtain new counsel.

This communication is for the sole purpose of providing general information to the public. This communication in no way establishes an attorney-client relationship. Anyone reading this communication should not act based solely on this communication and should consult with an attorney before taking any legal action.