Skip to main content

How could you dispute a credit card debt that has occured due to ID theft after 2 years?

Edmond, OK |

I have been living with 3 roommates while going to college. I had no idea what was going in my credit report until recent time when I was declined for a credit limit increase at Macy's. The people who have done this were long gone from the country after graduation and I have no way of proving other than my schedules to show that I was at work while these transactions were happening in those cards. They have been using and paying the cards big amounts that is not affordable to me at all where I was only making less money. They have paid bills on time and then let the cards grow up to 30000 and let them charged off. I have no idea how to resolve this and now I see debtors trying to sue me for something I haven't done. Please advise me what to do in this case. I tried all the avenues

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You're in a tough position, but for those amounts, it is worth it to hire a consumer attorney in your area experienced in debt defense. If you believe the reporting of those accounts on your credit report to be inaccurate, dispute them to the credit bureaus in writing.

Please note that no attorney-client relationship is created by my answers to questions on the Avvo forum. My responses should not be construed as legal advice, regardless of whether I am admitted to practice in your state or not. I am an attorney in Miami Beach, FL, practicing foreclosure, bankruptcy, credit repair, debt defense, and aviation law. Please consult a lawyer in your state if you seek legal advice.


Gather copies of your police reports. Gather all information you can regarding charges, payments, accounts paid from (presumably not your own) and proof that transactions are not you.

Make an appointment with counsel.

Daniel Tam

Daniel Tam


I concur.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer