Skip to main content

How could I get a non custodial parent's rights revoked?

Chipley, FL |

I am the stepfather to a 11 year old girl. My wife and I have been going through issues with the father. Recently he hasn't paid child support in 2 years. Also been busted for drugs with intent to sell which he got no time for. My stepdaughter have been to a counselor
over her time with him. She has told me she has had to take care of her 5year old brother and 1year old brother while he goes and sleeps it off. She does not have a bed in his place. As well as been known to cook meth out of his trailer. But DHR has told us unless he gets busted with her in his presence there is nothing they can do. What course of action do we have.\?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

I am quite certain that the Department of Children Families (DCF) can get involved even without the father getting arrested in the presence of the daughter. DCF can and will remove children from homes where they are being neglected and/or abused. But even if DCF cannot or does not help, your wife can ask the judge in the family law court where the original custody order was entered to modify that order.

If what you say is true, something must be done quickly. It sounds like these children are seriously neglected by the father. Your wife should speak to an attorney who can give her all of the options based on the specific facts in your case.

Good luck.

I suggest you speak to an attorney in your area who has experience in family law. That attorney would be best able to address the specific circumstances in your case and to explain the options you have. The information above is for informational purposes only, and providing it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Good luck.


Even with the serious evidence you've listed, I doubt you could get the father's rights terminated. Still, you could possibly have his timeshare restricted to a supervised status. Your wife needs to talk to a lawyer immediately.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer