Skip to main content

How could I be adopted by a certain person ?

Rapid City, SD |

I'm a 15 year old girl. I've been abused mentally, physically, and sexually by my parents and family. I only feel safe to talk and be with my friends parents, his father is a cop, and fireman. His mother is a professional painter and works at gym. They both use to have a adopted license in fact my friends adopted. I don't feel safe going to foster care I want them to adopt me. They both agreed to try there best to adopt me they said they take me as there daughter no matter what. But he things the judge won't let him take me. Is there any way possible he can take me in as adoption?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Its usually not as simple as just wanting to adopt - courts in most states are very reluctant to just terminate parents' rights. It can be quite the process. Where are your parents currently and have you brought up your issues with a school counselors or the police?


Your friend's parents can call a local adoption lawyer, but it would likely be a tough road to hoe


People do not obtain a license to adopt. They have to go through a specific and somewhat lengthy court proceeding and have the adoption approved by the appropriate court. Before an adoption can take place, your parents' parental rights would need to be involuntarily terminated by the court or your parents would have to voluntarily give up their parental rights and have the court sign off on that.

If you have a state social worker involved with you, I suggest you contact the state social worker and discuss your desires with the worker. If you don't have a social worker, but are being abused, contact the social welfare Department, and file a complaint against your parents. This would prompt an investigation and perhaps ultimately facilitate what you would like to achieve.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer