Skip to main content

How can your ex husband open an individual credit card account in your name? Or could he solicit someone to apply as me?

Tampa, FL |

My current credit report shows a new address that is unknown to me. Since my ex husband's social security number appears on this report, it might be his new address. This social security number was reported as a variation of the social security number used to obtain credit report (my social security number.) What I can't figure out is how he could obtain individual credit in my name without my knowledge. We have been divorced since 2009 and this account was opened in 2011. I know to file police report, federal trade commission, send out cerified letters requesting all information. However, I need to make sure I take all precautions because I want to raise identity theft issue in an upcoming hearing where he wants to terminate support. I have an attorney but I need to know proper steps.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can put a freeze on your credit. It is more than a fraud alert it is a freeze that requires a creditor to obtain a pin number from you before any credit can be extended under your ss number. Look at the credit agencies websites for more info .

This answer does not create an attorney client relationship between you and I. I am not your attorney unless we both sign a written contract that describes our relationship and terms of the representation. Any information provided to you here is not a substitute for the advice you need to pursue any legal matter. I advise you to retain the services of a local attorney before taking any legal action in this matter.


You may want to subpoena the credit card records before the hearing. You also should dispute the information of the Credit Bureau. If the information is not removed then you are able to bring suit under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to have it removed.

The answer given is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Dwight Bowen is a bankruptcy and consumer attorney and may be contacted at (404) 880-3310.


Many credit card companies have online applications and will lend based on the electronic information (and signature) that they receive. If someone knows the correct answers they can fraudulently induce the bank to lend in another person's name. You should speak with an attorney to make sure that you set up your defense correctly.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer