How can you make a neighbor move a mailbox that is on your property? they did not ask permission to put it up.

International Falls, MN |

our neighbor has lived in their house many years. they put up a mailbox on my property without even asking. over the years ive had problems with police calls, solicitors, and with his dog constantly dumping on my lawn when he checks the mail. his box belongs in front of his home. when my father passed away at this address the ambulance went to the wrong home because of this. ive now gotten sick of the dog crap by my mailbox everyday. i want to legally move his mailbox, how do i go about this?

I would start by approaching your neighbor and seeing if there is a way to resolve the matter amicably. Be reasonable and level-headed in your broaching of the subject.

The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of this attorney or affiliated law firm. Links that may appear on this site are intended solely for your convenience in identifying and accessing other sources of information.

they have been approached about their obviously loose and vicious dog in the past and that didnt work so well and sheriff was called about loose dog running. i didnt call but neighbors have complained. i would rather take this up in a different manner. the neighbor seems to be the kind who just does it no matter what kind of person. does it til busted.

Adam William Klotz

Adam William Klotz

A demand letter from an attorney would be another option, then. Though, going down this path could obviously cause for more future turmoil with your neighbor.

he breaks vicious and loose dogs laws constantly. im just tired of people thinking his house is mine.

I agree with what counsel has said on this topic, although legally you could remove the mailbox from your property. Before ever taking such action, you should be sure you know exactly where the property lines are, and that his mailbox is not on a public right of way. Assuming it is, in fact, on your property, the best solution is for him to voluntarily move it after having a conversation with you. Judicial action is also a potential method of resolving this dispute, although very expensive in the context of a mailbox. One thing to note, however, is that if you do nothing, your neighbor could eventually become an easement holder relative to the mailbox. Good luck!