How can you find out if someone has guardianship over someone

Ormond Beach, FL |

I have recently have taken in a women thats mentally handicap. The last group home she lived in she was abused.Now the person who is over her has said she can live here.My problem is I thought the women over her was good, but Im starting to have doubts theres been quite a few red flags about her now. What I was wondering if there was a way I can find out if this women has guardianship over her. I know she is the truste of her money or something like that, Which I could careless. My problemis if she can tell her where to live. Because my husband and I and our children so love her.The lady can keep the money. We would just like to know Please if there was any advice you could give us.What a great site this is by the way, Thankyou :)

Best Answer

Guardianship is granted by the probate court, so if someone actually IS the guardian, there'll be a record of the appointment and the reasons for the appointment at the local probate court.

I suggest you contact the local probate court and check their records and see if there has been an adjudication of incompetency for your friend and if in fact a guardian or conservator have been appointed for her. It might be that your friend signed a DPA for this person in which case, if your friend wasn't adjudicated incompetent, she could revoke and possibly name you. Just depends. You might need to retain an atty.

Legal disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of Missouri only, and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to Missouri. This answer is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation, and is for promotional purposes only. You should never rely on this answer alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney-client relationship. less

You can call the Clerk of Court, Probate Division, in Volusia County. Their phone number is:(386) 257-6000 ext. 5914

You can also search their website at: http://www.clerk.org/info/ClerksOffice.html

If you need any further assistance, call Debra G. Simms at 407-331-4529

Thankyou for all your answers what a great Website :) I will do that, i was wondering If I filled for guardianship would this women who is the trustee be aware of it and challange the guardianship?

The Probate Division should be able to assist you.

JMP Law, P.A.
Juna M. Pulayya
www.jmplawyer.com
junior@jmplawyer.com

Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about my qualifications and experience. Transmission of the information in this web site is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.