Skip to main content

How can we help a inmate that in trouble in jail?

Jamaica, NY |

this is my sons first time in jail and he ask co for help and no one is paying him no mind.....he is only 16 i just dnt understand how these people see a kid asking for help cuz these other inmate are trying to hurt him and takes his food and these co are not doing anything.i need help on how to go about this please any answers

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You could start by finding out who your son's case worker is in the jail. In most jails, a "case worker" addresses the specific and specialized needs of the inmates. Most jails have many caseworkers employed...usually one caseworker per floor or one caseworker per level of inmates.

A caseworker is like a social worker or a probation officer. You could contact the jail and ask to speak with the caseworker assigned to your son's area of the jail.


Contact a supervisor at the facility or his social worker. See if his criminal attorney will intervene.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


I agree with the first answer offered, however, I also suggest you speak directly with someone in the Jail where your son is located and ask to speak to the Warden or anyone else in charge of young people. Often the younger inmates are the worst type because they have no compassion for their fellow inmates and take advantage of them - unless and until someone steps in.

The best thing the Warden and staff can know is that someone on the outside is watching them and demanding assistance for their child. Of course, do any demanding in a nice fashion.

You may call our office at 516-248-6600 or send an email to us at This answer does not form an attorney/client relationship with anyone and any answers do not constitute direct legal advice and should not be followed unless and until you have spoken with an attorney of your choice.