Skip to main content

How can this affect me when entering U.S. or Hong Kong? And how can this affect me in renewing my student visa and I-20?

Ann Arbor, MI |


I am an international student from Hong Kong. Graduating this May in engineering and will likely return to the university for Master's program in the fall until May 2014.

I was arrested for OWI last week. Waiting for a court date now. If I were to be convicted of an OWI or OWI with high BAC offense, both a misdemeanor since there were no injuries involved, and given that I get probation instead of jail time and I am allowed to leave the country to go back home to Hong Kong for the summer, how can this affect my chances of entering Hong Kong? Entering U.S. in the fall? Renewing my student visa and I-20 for my Master's program? Thank you very much for your help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Does not render you inadmissible but will always be a factor.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Criminal records are never a good idea. It can always cause questions.


At this point, it would be very helpful to have an experienced immigration attorney to work with an experienced criminal defense attorney to analyze the possible outcomes of the OWI charge and to work to try to obtain an outcome that will be best for you. The Michigan OWI statute involves many sections, and it will be important to discuss all of the facts very carefully to see what might be the best outcome. The goal would be to obtain an outcome that will not lead to negative consequences regarding deportability or inadmissibility in the USA.

As for your return to Hong Kong, that is beyond the scope of US immigration lawyers. You would need to research the laws of that jurisdiction and consult with an attorney licensed there.

I wish you the best of luck.

Michael Carlin
Immigration Attorney

Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC
3365 Washtenaw Avenue, Suite 209
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104
Phone: 734.369.3131
Fax: 734.259.4801
Website: Sitio en español:

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer