Skip to main content

How can my wife and I transfer a property, grant deed, into our name?

Roseville, CA |

The grant deed to our rental property is in my deceased mother's and my wife's name. We want to transfer the property into our names, my wife and I.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If your wife and her mother were joint tenants, then filing a notice of death of joint tentant followed by a grant deed from your wife to the two of you is the process. If your wife and her mother were tenants in common, you may have to have a probate to transfer title to your wife (if she is the only heir) then on to the two of you.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


I agree with Mr. Doland.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


I agree with Mr. Dolan's response.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer