Skip to main content

How can my mother become an U.S. citizen without taking the test?

Fort Pierce, FL |

My mother is 77-year old. She wants to become an U.S. citizen; however, I don't think she will be able to pass the test because she forgets everything.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


While i don't know all of the circumstances present in your mother's life and I am assuming she actually is eligible for citizenship, I will say that the N-400 "Application for Naturalization," does allow for a waiver of the English and U.S. civics and history requirements based on disability or impairment.

Your mother should definitely consult with a reputable immigration attorney before filing an application for more guidance.

This posting is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.


The first thing that you need to look at is exactly what test your mother needs to take. There is a special shorter test for applicants over the age of 65 and those who have reached certain ages and been residents for a certain period of time can take the test in their native language.

if your mother has a medical condition which prevents her from memorizing the information needed to pass the test, she can apply for a medical waiver. This must be done in conjunction with the filing of her application for naturalization and will require certifications from her treating physicians. It is a complicated process can be done if handled appropriately. I suggest you schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your mother's situation and advise you as to the options available to her.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer