Skip to main content

How can my husband adopt my son?

Bardstown, KY |

My son is about to be 13, his biological father has never saw him. I have been married for over a year now and my husband wants to adopt my son. When i told my son's biological father I was pregnant he left and I have not seen him since. His name is NOT on the birth certificate. Does he have any rights to my son?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


As a prerequisite to adoption any conflicting parental rights must be terminated. As a general rule the principles of due process under our Constitution require a reasonable effort to provide notice of the proposed termination. In some states there are statutory limits on the ability of a bioparent to contest. For example, statutes defining presumed abandonment are common. For the most expeditious and trouble-free adoption, take care to retain experienced family counsel in your area.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.