Skip to main content

How can my fiancee help me adjust my status?

New York, NY |

I am currently out of status. Can my fiance who is in the military/ a U.S citizen help me adjust my status?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Immigration benefits are for family relations and NOT vice versa. Best Wishes!


Not until you get married.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You must be married first. Also what status did you have before overstay.

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. (212)880-1538 Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit is a Full Service Immigration Law Office, at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016



I had a TPS and it was terminated in 2004. I am out of status now, I was not able to renew my employment authorization card around that time. We are planing for marriage in the future.


Fiance is not considered an immediate relative and cannot help you in adjusting your status. However, if you get married, he can petition for you as a husband and you will be able to adjust your status eventually.