How can my congressman help with my I-601 hardship waiver?

San Diego, CA |

Hey there! My wife got two bans in Juarez this week, misrep and smuggling (I need to fight this last one, because it is not true).

I was wondering: How can my Congressman help in my case? I know my congressman pretty well, and he knows my community work, because I'm a very active journalist in San Diego.

I contacted his office before we went to Juarez, and they were willing to help any way they could.
But how can he really help me?
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

Best Answer

Your Congressman can make an inquiry, but he cannot reverse a decision by the US Consulate.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

This is the type of answer I was looking for: Honest, to the point, and respectful. Thank you, Mr. Shusterman!

Amigo, your Congressman's "help" in Juarez will not even amount to a pack of refried beans..especially so with an alien smuggling ground of inadmissibility, which is a "lifetime" "bar" (not a "cantina") . Soon you'll have to choose, am afraid:
1. New wife, or
2. Move to some godforsaken place I'm Mexico.. Sorry.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Wow! What a disrespectful answer coming from a so-called "professional" lawyer. I was really considering scheduling a consultation with you, Mr. Behar. Good thing I will be having one with Jan Bejar. As a Christian, this is all I have to say to your comment: "And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him. And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter. And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery." —Mark 1:1-12 King James Bible.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Good luck. That'll cost you a fortune, with no foreseeable result. At least I am being (painfully) honest.

I think you are being (honestly) obnoxious.