Skip to main content

How can I void an agreement between me and a car dealership, even though I signed a vehicle purchase agreement?

Wantagh, NY |

The car is new and it has not been delivered to the dealership yet. I put a $200.00 deposit on the car. JP Morgan Chase bank, in Forth Worth, Texas, has approved a loan totaling more than $20,000 with 0% APR. The car loan had not shown up on my credit report. The signed vehicle purchase agreement has a $500 deposit minimum.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Read the VPA very carefully front and back. There may be an out for late delivery or failure to finance timely.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.


Read the fine print.

Good luck.


Many of these purchase agreements provide for liquidated damages in the amount of the deposit. Check your contract out carefully to see what it says. It may be that, if you cancel, there will be no repercussions other than the forfeiture of that deposit. I am not sure how to reconcile your statement that your deposit was only $200 but the minimum deposit is $500; perhaps they'll want you to pay another $300. Unless you signed a loan agreement with Chase, you should not be responsible for payments. I suggest that you contact the dealership and explain that you are unable to take delivery and ask what your options are. If they demand that you go through with it, then you may want to check w/ a NY attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer