Skip to main content

How can I try to clear my name after release of probation from a felony dwi with previous conviction?

Syracuse, NY |

I'm a very ambitious individual with a family that 5 yrs ago led a very misguided lifestyle. I've been convicted of dwi-2 previous conviction 10/1 ct(s) vtl-1192.3-03 and 1 aggravated unlic operation v/1 ct(2) vtl-511.3-03
There's simple things i'm trying to do that having convictions are hanging over my head. I'm a good person and contributor to my community and I need answers. please help me n what to do to clear my name?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Time is the best answer. If you are not trying to overturn the conviction, every passing day pushes the transgression further into the past. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


In New York, there is no such thing as expungement. Thus, you can't hide previous convictions. You can, however, seek to obtain a certificate from relief of disabilities or certificate of good conduct, which can get you some rights back which you lose with a felony conviction.


You cannot seal a crminal conviction and New York does not expunge.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


As my colleagues have stated, there is no way to expunge a criminal conviction in New York State.