Skip to main content

How can I transfer my probation to Texas from denver?

Denver, CO |

I'm on probation for DUI here in Colorado I've completed all community service hours and MADD panel I have not had any missed or hot ua's or ba's I've completed level 2 alcohol classes and now on my 52 hours of therapy which I have 14 hours done. Is there any way I can move to Austin Texas?? From what I heard is they hVe to let me move if I get a job down there is this true?? I would love to get out of this crappy state. Thanx

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The answer is yes you would be able to move but that would require with your probation being terminated or I being transferred to Texas. Either way your best bet would be to discuss this with your PO. S/he would be in the best position to assist you if s/he were so inclined. If probation isn't being cooperative you may wish to consider contacting an attorney who could then make the necessary applications to the court.


It is possible to have your probation transferred via the interstate compact. However, both states must agree. From the facts that you have listed, there doesn't seem to be much reason for them to object.

Another alternative, should the judge be so inclined, is to terminate the supervision requirement so that you no longer have to report to a probation officer. Rather, the judge essentially supervises your probation. What this effectively means is that they will review your file from time to time, most likely close to the end of your term, and see if you have completed all the terms of probation and not had any new violations of law.

No answer here should be considered to form an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction so that a full evaluation of the facts of your case can be conducted.


You will need to ask for and get the go ahead from your probation officer and permission from the court. Also the state of Texas will have to accept you into their probation program. This is not a sure thing, but it happens with some regularity.
If you are on unsupervised probation, you will need to address your move with the court only.
It is not true that anyone has to agree to transfer your probation down to Texas if you get a job down there, but having already secured employment will probably make the transfer easier to justify.

The proceeding statement is for your benefit and designed to orient you to seek help more completely; it should not be construed as a complete answer to your legal problem or a substitution for legal advice. Only when an attorney has had the opportunity to fully explore the issues of your case can you truly be advised. By reading my statement you should not infer we have created an attorney client relationship.


My colleagues are accurate. You can move out of state as long as you get court permission and consent to do so. If you are on supervised probation, they would need to transfer it to TX and TX would have to accept the transfer.