Skip to main content

How can I take my children's names off my house that I put in their names a few years ago?

Alexandria, IN |

I put my house in my children's names a few years ago, but I don't think they received any paper work to that effect. I recorded it in the Recorder's Office at that time. I have a Life Estate in it and I pay the taxes. How can I take off their names? Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You are in a tough spot. If you, as you say, have recorded the deed, then you made a completed gift and transfer to them. You can not take their names off the deed unless they agree to it. This is why an estate planning attorney usually asks many questions and is quite careful before engaging in this type of transfer. Once done, you do not have control and have lost many property rights in the house in question. You should immediately meet with an estate planning lawyer to discuss this matter in more detail, as you may have some leverage over your children if you have other assets that they may want in the future.

Hope this helps.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is only in the form of legal education and is intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.