Skip to main content

How can I stop my husband from selling our home

Los Angeles, CA |

Our home was bought during the marriage under his name. I live there with my children, my husband is very abusive and since I refused to keep up with his demand he threatened to sell our home. I found out online that he is trying to sell our home. The house is listed and is pending sale.

What should I do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You should immediately seek the services of a family law attorney. If you have a community property interest in the home, because it was purchased in part with community funds, you will be able to prevent the sale without your consent or a court order. If this is a regular sale, through escrow with title insurance, it is unlikely title would allow a sale without your consent. Still, it is wise to be proactive. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference