Skip to main content

How can i stop a garnishment due to not being able to support my family.

Tacoma, WA |

I have been being garnished for years for the same medical bills from decades ago.
Is there was way to file something with the courts to ask them to stop them due to hardship?
I am trying to support my disabled wife and out little 8 year old girl.
At the times i am not being garnished we just get by.. But when I am garnished we go without alot of times.
And also, i noticed my employer is charging me $20 when i get garnished now.. is this legal?

Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You should consult with an attorney who specializes in personal bankruptcy. It may be possible to wipe out the entire debt, and any others that you have. For more information about these laws, please see:

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


You might want to bring the garnishment to an end by filing a bankruptcy proceeding. You should sit down with an experienced bankruptcy attorney to see if this is the right advice for you to follow.


If you qualify, file a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy you may discharge all medical bills and therefore stop all garnishments. Whether your employer can charge you the $20 for each garnishment is state specific. Contact a local bankruptcy attorney in your area with a great reputation to discuss this further. Best of luck.


Yes, WA statutes allow the employer to charge a $20 fee for the first response to a writ of garnishment and $10 for the second response to the writ. RCW 6.27.095. (Each wage garnishment requires two responses from the employer.) You receive an exemption claim form with the writ of garnishment. You might consult with an attorney to see if any exemptions apply. Otherwise, you should consult with a bankruptcy attorney as suggested by the other attorneys.

I am not your attorney. My response is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.


Our founding fathers put bankruptcy into the Constitution because they knew that people sometimes have financial problems that have no solution. If paying your debts is leaving you unable to feed your family, then wherein lies the greater sin? Sometimes in life all you can do is not enough and that is why mercy is extended and it is a blessing to be able to receive debt forgiveness. Give me a call at 253-761-8970.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer