How can I speed up my divorce? Is there a faster way to get my paperwork signed by the judge?

Stamford, CT |

I have been waiting 4 years for my divorce to be finalized. I am on my second lawyer who states the first didn't do a good job with the paperwork. the problem is the second lawyer didn't submit all the proper documents either. it has taken 3 to six months each time I discovered something was wrong with the paperwork. Also, I filed in Bronx, ny. I was told they tend to take a while. Should I withdraw my petition and file again some place else?

In Bronx County, the procedure for filing an uncontested divorce takes a very long time, even if the paperwork is perfect. Usually, they find some technicality and the six month cycle starts all over again. If you meet the residency requirements in Connecticut, you can file in Connecticut, but your spouse would have to agree to discontinue the New York case. Once you file an uncontested in Connecticut it will take about 3-4 months. It can be done for minimum charge.

I was told that there is no way to discontinue my case in the Bronx because we signed an agreement in court; they said I reached a point where there is no turning back and I have to find away to submit the paperwork that is missing

Is this true?

Joseph S Hubicki

Joseph S Hubicki

OK. There is a definite way to correct the paperwork, I have submitted this kind of divorce process many, many times. I am sorry you are not getting the help you need. Let me know if I can help.

Joseph S Hubicki

Joseph S Hubicki

There is a procedure for submitting the proper paperwork. There is a danger that if you wait too long the case could be dismissed. Let me know if I could be of help.

I do need help. Any help you can provide will be welcomed. Thank you! This friday I am going to the court to pick up the list of what is missing.

Joseph S Hubicki

Joseph S Hubicki

Call me when you get the paperwork.

I cannot speak about a NY divorce, but it makes no sense to me how any divorce in CT could be allowed to continue for 4 years. Was there a previous divorce filing that was dismissed and then refiled? You need to speak with your atty and get a timetable for the matter. Also you can look up your case status at www.jud2.ct.gov and look your case up by your name. I would be concerned that withdrawing the case would just make things take longer

This information provided is in the nature of general information and in no way creates an attorney client relationship with anyone including the individual who posted the question. Attorney Norris is licensed only in Connecticut and does not provide legal advice outside of the State of Connecticut. Answers given are solely not to be considered legal advice. For legal advice contact an attorney licensed in your state.

Joseph S Hubicki

Joseph S Hubicki

i think he said he filed in New York - Bronx County.

Yes, I filed in the Bronx. We came to an agreement in court and signed the agreement before the judge. My lawyer was supposed to put the final papers together and submit it for the judge to sign. She did not submit the paperwork properly and took a job in another state soon after. My husband's atty who is a criminal lawyer did not know how to correct the paperwork. I hired an atty who said he could help and I recently found out that he did not submit all the necessary documents. I just want my life back and this over with. I am so afraid of paying more money just so another year can come and go without my divorce final.

I am not familiar with the procedures in New York, however the delay as you describe it seems quite extraordinary. The process in Connecticut can conclude farily quickly, possibly within 3 to 4 months after the return date of the case so long as the parties have an agreement or in the event the spouse being served with divorce papers chooses to not participate in the case. If you reside in Connecticut and meet the residency requirements as recited in Connectiuct General Statute 46b-44 then you can file the divorce in Connecticut. Before doing so however you must first first withdraw the New York case. If you click on the link below you will see some relevant statutes related to Connecticut divorce. I hope this is helpful to you.