Skip to main content

How can I seal an eviction case after trial?

Los Angeles, CA |

I was served with an eviction for noise violations, fought the case myself and lost. The judgement read that the property was "forfeited". I failed to request that the case be sealed at the time of trial. I vacated the premises one month ago prior to the time noticed to vacate, and would like to know:

1) if the property being "forfeited: is the same as an "eviction", and if so will it show up on my record?

2) how to have the case sealed after the fact (it has been less than 60 days since the trial)

Please advise. Thank you!!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Sealing the record is something that is usually done when the parties agree to settle. Now, in Department 94 downtown, and in Department P of Van Nuys, this is done as a matter of course when the parties agree. Other courts like Department 8 in Inglewood, it is not done absent good cause. It is also never done when the parties go to trial. When attempted after trial, ALL courts require a noticed motion and good cause must be shown before the court will seal the record (It will hurt my credit or it will make it difficult to rent an apartment is not good cause) as court cases are considered to be a public record.

A proper response would require a thorough investigation into the history and background of this relationship. The information provided above is just that, information, to be used as you see fit.

William Stanley Fitch

William Stanley Fitch


Missed the part about "forfeited" Your right to possession and the rental agreement are forfeited. That means you no longer have a right to possession or a rental agreement. That "award" is part of the eviction judgment, it's not the eviction itself.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer