Skip to main content

How can I retrieve my dog from a neighbor who claims they shot my dog as they were threatened?

Houston, TX |

My dog roamed away , accidentally , while I was out of town . We put out a large dog search campaign in my area along with reaching out on Face book for the possibility of anyone spotting my dog . An anonymous call came in claiming my dog was shot as the land owner felt threatened . I don't want to file criminal charges or the like , I SIMPLY want my dog back , even if dead . I've been hearing something about getting a warrant or a temporary injunction from people on Face book . How can I IMMEDIATELY get access to this man's property to see if my dog is there or not ? Where / how do I file ? And if an attorney can do assist , approximate fees for such assistance and filing fee ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

An anonymous phone call is not enough evidence to take any form of legal action (temporary injunction, warrant, motion for return of personal property, or any form of lawsuit). I would first try to contact your neighbor to see if there is any basis in fact. It is possible that your neighbor will admit to the act. If that does not work, then try reporting it to animal control, the police, or sheriff's department. If that is not helpful, then a letter from an attorney may help or hiring a private investigator work.

This is not to be construed as legal advice. I do not have an attorney client relationship with you.


Why haven't you gone to the landowner and asked them about the rumor? If they refuse to speak with you call the police and/or animal control.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer