Skip to main content

How can I renew an expired i-94? Father is a diplomat, complicated situation

Newark, NJ |

Came to the US when I was 1 year old with my dad who came as a diplomat. My i-94 expired several years ago and was never renewed, beyond my control as I had no idea what an i-94 was until recently. Went to the DMV for a state ID the other day and my expired i-94 stopped me from getting approved. I researched a few things and it seems theres nothing I can do now to get a state ID since my passport is incomplete without the i-94. I also have a social security number, but that doesn't help much. Any idea how I can solve this issue?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Since the I94 is expired you are more than likely out of status, unless your father received an extension on his and your authorized stay without your knowledge. If your stay has in fact expired, you will not be able to "renew" the I94. Speak with an attorney, as you have not given enough details to advise you.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104



Thanks for the feedback. My father is still working in the US as a diplomat, so I believe his stay has been extended. Technically I am a legal resident since he currently is, but the expired i-94 proves otherwise.

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina


Well, you should find out whether your stay has been extended as well


I concur...speak to a lawyer. The government will not care what you did not know and if you have an out of status situation it is time to speak to a lawyer.

The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.


I, too, agree.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer