Skip to main content

How can I remove my name from an online, school newspaper article?

Nashville, TN |

A college I formerly attended (in Tennessee) has an article which includes my name. It is beginning to be a security concern.

I contacted the paper and a student told me it is their policy, you know like a real news outlet, to not make any changes. I even suggested to simply change my name. They refuse. What action can I take?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


A student newspaper would be considered a "real news outlet" by the courts and has of their 1st amendment protections.

You did not say what the newspaper is saying about you. If it is a truthful statement their is nothing you can do.

Andrew M. Jaffe
Attorney at Law
(330) 666-5026

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.



Thank you for your response. After a disagreement and some bickering with the school's attorney over the matter I was able to get the information removed.

Andrew Mark Jaffe

Andrew Mark Jaffe


Good job, I am impressed.