Skip to main content

How can I reinstate parental rights?

Galveston, TX |

Several years ago I moved out of my parents home at 17 with my infant daughter. I didn't trust a babysitter so I let he stay with them when was working. They pressured me into letting them have her.

Years later I wanted her back, they filed a restraining order and took me to court, and with lies in an affidavit, a judge on their side, they pressured me to sign over my parental rights and they in return would not sue for child support. Now the family has gone downhill, they are getting divorced and CPS is involved. They adopted her the day they made me sign my rights over. Is there any way to get her back now?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Since you have no parental rights, you have no legal standing at this point to sue to adopt. You'd need to have custody of your child for at least 6 months before you could have standing to sue for conservatorship of your child. Unfortunately, once you rights are terminated, there's no way to reinstate them. You'd have to basically adopt your own child, because in the eyes of Texas, you are no longer that child's parent, but are legally a stranger to them.

This is for educational purposes only. This answer is given based on the facts provided above. Contact a local attorney to further discuss these issues. No attorney client relationship is established. These questions and answers are fully searchable and viewable on the internet.


You would need to adopt the child, which normally requires consent of the current parents or guardians (if the child is a ward of the state).

This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship. This attorney is licensed in Texas.


I agree with the other attorneys - your parental rights have been terminated -- so technically you are a "stranger" to your child.

That said, I would be in contact with CPS & in the courtroom doing anything and everything that I could to re-open the door & start fresh.

You don't include in your statement how old the child is now or if the child has any sort of relationship with you.

I would be there as an "option" to the 2 fighting parents. I would be the rational & reasonable alternative. I would be creative & flexible in offering alternatives to the fighting parents.

I would also hire the best attorney that I could find in the Galveston area.

Check this website & As I'm sure you know, Galveston judges prefer Galveston attorneys and not lawyers from Houston.

Good luck!