Skip to main content

How can I register my business name and file for an LLC in Georgia?

Marietta, GA |
Attorney answers 3


An LLC is a separate legal entity, an artificial person, created by filing Articles of Organization (and paying the fees) with the corporations division of the Secretary of State of the State of Georgia. There are many legal, tax, and business issues to think of and should really be discussed with a business lawyer before you embark on a business. (An LLC, for example, may not necessarily be in your best interests.) An EIN, or "employment identification number" is an identification number issued by the Internal Revenue Service to a business entity for a variety of Federal tax issues, including payroll taxes and income tax reporting. There are also state identification numbers such as a Department of Revenue Sales and Use Tax Number, Wage withholding ID number, and Georgia Dept of Labor ID number. So, in all honesty, the right direction for you would be to meet with a business lawyer and/or a CPA to help get your business properly established. While most of this can be done yourself, there is so much to know and so much that can go wrong. Starting a business has enough risks involved, so do yourself a big favor, get started right.


Ms. Shaffner has given you a very good response. I see many people doing this themselves nowadays, but inevitably they find that they have done something wrong. Hiring an attorney to advise and assist you in setting the company up, creating initial meeting minutes, establishing tax withholding methods, etc. is well worth what you will pay an attorney as opposed to the cost of fixing things down the road.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP EMAIL:, OFFICES: 53 W. Candler St., Winder, Ga. 30680, 106 Washington Street, Jefferson, Ga. 30549, Or 718 Oak St. Gainesville, Georgia. PHONE: (770) 307-4899 or (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation


I completely agree with the prior attorneys. Although you can file an LLC online yourself, I always recommend legal advice for legal matters. Do yourself a favor and contact an attorney - many will accomplish what you need with a a very reasonable fee. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer