Skip to main content

How can I provide more "proof of claim" for a motion to show cause.

Tacoma, WA |

I am scheduled for a contempt of court hearing in pierce county, Washington. I have file all the paper work that I had as of that day. I have "conveniently" started to be in contact with my ex again after 7 month of not being able to talk to my children at all, since she is aware of the fact that I'm taking her to court. The e-mail conversation are further proof of total disregard of the parenting plan. How can I submit copies of the e-mails to the commissioner so that they can be considered? Or will I have to bring them to court. If the latter, will there be an issue with her not being notified of the e-mails being used as proof when she was served the previous papers? She is still not letting me talk to my children by the way.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Most courts will accept e-mails as exhibits to your response declaration. By so attaching them to the declaration, you are attesting to the e-mail's authenticity. You should try to submit all your paperwork according to the court rules, or you risk the court not considering your information. I would suggest sitting down with an experienced family law attorney and working out a plan to achieve your goals. This page does not constitute legal advice. These pages do not constitute, nor do they create, an attorney-client relationship between Attorney Frank L. LaBare and/or Maple Valley Legal Services and any receiver. This site is governed by a Site Use Agreement that you accept by reviewing these pages. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with an attorney. If you send any confidential information to Attorney Frank L. LaBare and/or Maple Valley Legal Services and you are not a client of Attorney Frank L. LaBare and/or Maple Valley Legal Services , the information shall lose its confidential status. Furthermore, if the unsolicited information you send to our Law Office, and is beneficial to our clients and adverse to you, the information you provide may be used even if it is contrary to your interests


Emails are hearsay evidence and there needs to be authentication (by forensic investigation) before they will ever get into evidence. If an e-mail can be connected to the person without there being any doubt of someone else having sent it, then it is possible it could be used as evidence.



OK. This leads to another question. Well what kind of proof is valid for a show cause hearing? Most of my evidence is e-mail correspondence. Will this not be sufficient for the hearing? Most, not all. I still have telephone records. Without the e-mails proving that that she is internally violating the parenting plan, I feel like I have nothing.


Normally you would need to submit the emails as exhibits before the hearing, and serve the other party. There may be hearsay objections, but often the court will consider emails of the parties if they are relevant to the issue. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although these Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes