Skip to main content

How can I now my immigration status after I Quit with an H1B and may be the company didn't reported ?

Denver, CO |

My H1B visa expires in 2014. I Quit in Feb 2012 and I remain in USA till today. Is there some way to find out my status in immigration? I want to be sure if the company reported to immigration. What happens if they did not reported and my visa expires in 2014? Could I change my employer duet to I have right now a job offer, could I go for that, just in the case that the company did not informed that I am not any more working there?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Its simple. Your status automatically ends with your job.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Whether the company informed the USCIS or revoked their petition, it does not matter to your status. Once you quit, your status ends unless you ported to a new employer or joined an employer with an approved petition. You are continue to stay you adversely affect future visa applications.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


I agree - you are out of status, reported or not. You have to leave as soon as possible.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer