Skip to main content

How can I notify IRS my change of address, and check the status of my form 8316?

Houston, TX |

I'm a F1 student and was erroneously withheld social security and medicare tax.
I filed form 8316 to IRS in Ogden, UT (different from federal tax return, which was files to Austin, TX).
I filed the return in March, changed my address in May, and now is August and I haven't received that part of tax return.
1. I know I can write to the address at Austin, TX.
Do I also need to write to Ogden, UT? (I was hoping they have a shared database so to save my energy... )
2. Can I check the status of this refund like the federal tax return?
Federal tax return can be tracked online, but I didn't see anything like this for my erroneous withheld social and medicare taxes.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Did you file a change of address form with the US Postal Service? If not, then it may be possible that the IRS answered your correspondence and sent it to your old address. Your best bet is to walk into your local IRS office and talk to someone face to face. The IRS representative can trace your Form 8316 in the IRS' database and tell you if it is still being processed. He/she can also update your address on the IRS' records.

Any comments posted on this site are for your general information and are not a substitute for professional legal representation. Please consult an attorney to adequately address your legal issue(s).

Oscar Javier Ornelas

Anything contained in this response is for informational purposes only and neither the author nor The Ornelas Firm PLLC ("Firm") makes any representations as to the accuracy or completeness of anything contained in this response. Nothing herein shall be interpreted as legal advice from the author or the Firm, or as creating an attorney-client relationship between the solicitor and the author or the Firm. Neither the author nor the Firm will be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. You should consult an attorney whenever confronted with a serious legal issue. The Ornelas Firm PLLC ( may be contacted at 888-764-5822 or


Agree with Mr. Ornelas - and you can also contact the IRS directly to check the status either via phone or online.

Good luck.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.