Skip to main content

How can I not get deported for doing a misdeanmnor that happened years ago?

Miami, FL |

I may be getting deported because of a petty theft that happened wen I was in high school. I am legal but I am not a citizen . Can I get deported for a petty theft even though I got caught but didn't go to jail. In even though I have others who rely on me . N my daughter as well?? How can I stop this proceedings. Do I need documents stating who relies on me n the awards I have get from my jobs n accomplishments from schools n Etc's.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You need to consult with an immigration attorney to review the entire facts of your case and advise you accordingly.


It depends on how the theft was classified when you were charged. You should talk with an attorney who can review your record and advice you.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.


Generally, a petty theft falls within the "one petty offense" exception to deportation. Time for you to hire an experienced immigration attorney.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. You need to consult an experienced immigration attorney, and fast. Best wishes.

Simone Coley, Bachand & Bachand; 855-422-2426. 189 State Street, Suite 100, Bridgeport, CT 06604.


By hiring a competent and experienced immigration lawyer.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Something does not seem correct here. Petty Theft in Florida is a misdemeanor and generally not a deportable offense unless you have other criminal convictions. You need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your criminal and immigration histories. Only then can a determination be made.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.



It was defiantly a petty theft ...this whole thing Confusing me.. What if I don't have enough money to get a lawyer n I know it's going to be pretty tough. Any advice that I need besides prayer...???

Jeffrey Adam Devore

Jeffrey Adam Devore


As I noted, based upon your facts something is not correct. I would venture to guess that there are other adverse factors in your criminal and immigration histories that you have not shared with us. This forum is not the place for individualized legal advice. That is what a consultation with an attorney is for. I think you will find spending the money for a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney well worthwhile. That does not mean you are married to the attorney, but at the very least the attorney should be able to explain to you what to expect and recommend a course of action. At that point you can decide how you want to proceed. Unlike criminal proceedings, you are not entitled to a Court appointed lawyer in immigration proceedings.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer