Skip to main content

How can I make my landlord give me my security deposit back? (Besides suing them)

Kansas City, MO |

My Landlord withheld $400 of my security deposit for “cleaning” my 1100 sq foot apartment. (This cleaning charge was not for carpet cleaning. Carpet cleaning was $300 and listed separately) they also charged me $100 to replace an entire set of vertical blinds because one of the slats “was cracked” (a pack of replacement slats costs $15)

First off, I paid a professional cleaning service ($175) to clean the entire apartment right after I moved out, so the apartment was not dirty. Secondly, I don’t think it’s fair that they charged me to replace an entire set of vertical blinds because one of the slats was cracked. Also, I lived in the apartment for 4 years, isn’t a cracked slat be considered “normal wear and tear?”

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Have an attorney write a demand letter requesting the money or a clear explanation of how it was used with receipts.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


You could sue in small claims court on your own.

My comments are general in nature, are not legal advice as to your specific issue, and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Disregard this solicitation if you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with the legal matter referred to in this solicitation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me. The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me at this time. You should understand that the advice and information in this solicitation is general and that your own situation may vary. This statement is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Missouri.


Small claims court is your best option. If you took pictures of your apartment and can show how you left it and can show your cleaning service receipt, that will certainly help. If you can bring in something that shows what replacement slats cost, that would also help your claim. Bottom line is that is what small claims court is for.