Skip to main content

How can I make my ex-landlord pay me the money he owes me , its been over a year?

Lawrence, MA |

My ex-landlord owes me over 7,000 dollars and has the way to pay me. But the housing court is taking for ever to make him pay me.

I have provided the court with ,many evidence that shows he can pay me. He owes other properties , several vehicles. And the court is taking for ever to obligate him to pay.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It's hard to answer your question without more information. Do you mean that you filed a case and it is taking a long time to be resolved? If that is the case, there may not be too much you can do, but you could talk to the clerk's office about scheduling a trial date in the hopes of speeding things up.

If you mean that you already have an execution from the court saying that the landlord owes you money, then you may want to speak to an attorney who deals with collections. You may want to consider supplemental process or putting a lien on the landlord's property, among other possible options. In any event, I think speaking to an attorney would be a good idea.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.


There are many options available to you. You have the right to garnish wages, haul the judgment debtor into court for payment hearings, and you can even place a lien on the party's real estate. You will need an original execution. If you do not have one, you may need to request an alias execution from the court. You should reach out to an attorney, who can assist you in taking next steps in collection.


In the event you have obtained an execution, you can have the sheriff levy on the execution and place a lien on your former landlord’s property. If you have a judgment in place, you can also file a separate supplementary process action in order to collect on the judgment. The filing fee is fairly low making this affordable option to creditors. However, you will likely incur some costs for having your former landlord served. You will also have the option of having your landlord civilly arrested if they try to evade the process and do not show up in court. Once in court, your former landlord will have to provide proof of income so that the court can determine what they can pay. You can also enter into your own payment agreement and will then have the court to turn to if your landlord breaches that. Keep in mind that once you step into the shoes of a creditor, you have to be aware of the debtor’s rights and there are very specific procedures to follow when attempting to collect on the debt. You should consult with an attorney adept at such matters.

This "answer" is for information purposes only and is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship.