Skip to main content

How can i legally kick a roommate out of my house?

Bakersfield, CA |

Our original verbal agreement was for her to live with my wife and I for a few months, that was almost two years ago. There is no written agreement but she does receive mail here. She is very disrespectful toward us and we would like her out. Is it as simple as giving her a 30 day eviction notice or are there more steps we need to take?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


you will need to formally evict her. Call a local eviction attorney. Good luck.


A "lodger" is a person who lives in a room in a house where the owner lives. The owner can enter all areas occupied by the lodger and has overall control of the house. Under California law, most lodgers have the same rights as tenants. (Civil Code section 1940(a).)

However, in the case of a "single lodger" in a house where there are no other lodgers, the owner can evict the lodger either under normal landlord-tenant unlawful detainer law, or alternatively, without using formal eviction proceedings. The owner can give the lodger written notice that the lodger cannot continue to use the room. The amount of notice must be the same as the number of days between rent payments (usually 30 days).

Once the owner has given the lodger proper notice and the time has expired, the lodger has no further right to remain in the owner's house and may be removed as a trespasser. A lodger who remains on the premises of an owner-occupied dwelling unit after receipt of a notice terminating the hiring, and expiration of the notice period is guilty of an infraction and may be arrested for the offense by the owner. (Civil Code section 1946.5 and Penal Code section 602.3.)

Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.


If she has been there for a year or more, you will have to give a 60 day notice to terminate the tenancy.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer