Skip to main content

How can I help my pregnant girlfriend stay in the US? Can she get government assistance only for the delivery?

Milford, CT |

I live in CT and my girlfriend is currently in the final stages of a divorce from her sponsor. She has her own attorney that is assisting her through the divorce and and another one that is assisting her in her waiver for her conditional residence because it was her ex spouse's fault for the divorce. He was sent to jail during the time she came to the US.

Anyways, we know that her green card is not a guarantee as she needs to prove that she entered the marriage in good faith. However, her (our) situation just got complicated. We recently found out that she is about 5 weeks pregnant with our child. We have been dating for about 3 months (obviously not a planned pregnancy). Anyways, I want to know, since now I have entered the picture, is there anything I can do to assist her in obtaining legal residence? Does her preganancy with a US citizen (me) come into play at all? And she does pay for her own health insurance but it does not cover delivery. And I can not afford an expensive hospital bill for delivery. I do not have insurance. Can we apply for Medicaid solely for her delivery and child?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should have this conversation with your girlfriend's attorneys. I'm sure they are competent and in a better position to properly handle this matter.

Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.


If her conditional resident status is terminated, you could marry her and file a petition for her. Otherwise, just support her however you can. I cannot answer what public benefits she can get, she is supposed to be barred from needs based public benefit until she is a US citizen.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


I agree with my colleague. If her status was terminated, than yes you can sponsor her again.For now, support her by being there, and helping her with the baby. As for the delivery, please check with various non-profit organizations/government program.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Kai Law Group and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney


There are provisions in Medicaid to cover Emergencies and pregnancy is normally included. When I did Medicaid eligibility this happened all the time. As I understand it she still has permanent residency, she just has to get the conditions off. Her immigration attorney can give you better advice on this..

Medicaid for emergencies even has provisions for non citizens. Contact the Connecticut Social Services to apply.

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.