Skip to main content

How can I handle this drug case, and still go into the service?

Los Angeles, CA |

I was mailing weed(2oz)to Florida so I could smoke it once I arrived there. After i left the post office I was pulled over, they asked me what it was. And there dog had identified that it had drugs, I told them it was weed, they took my info, and let me go with a ticket or citation. Since then (6 months) I moved to Texas and when I was pull over by the police they told me I had a warrant for my arrest for Dangerous Drugs with intent to sale and it wasn't expeditable. I've never been in trouble with the law or arrested. I plan to go to the Air Force soon to better myself, and I feel this warrant will definitly get in the way. I am no longer a user of marjuana. I just need some understand and ways I could handle this case, and what to do from this point on. Also I had my med card at the time

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

The warrant has to be cleared in California. The best way would be to retain a California attorney to get the warrant cleared. There may be no extradition at this point, but the warrant could hinder future travel and your plans to join the Air Force. I recommend calling a California attorney fora free consultation.


You need to clear this up before you do anything. It's unclear which jurisdiction the warrant comes from, but you need to get an attorney fast. It makes no difference that you have a med mj card--you were shipping drugs, that's a crime in every state and in the federal system. Put the Air Force on the back burner until you deal with this criminal case.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


The med car does not allow you to ship marijuana especially across state lines, as my colleagues have stated, get a CA criminal defense attorney to resolve your warrant before doing anything else.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kapun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.


2 ounces of marijuana with a valid medical marijuana recommendation is a defensible case. The issue you have is that you have an active arrest warrant. California will not "extradite" you on the warrant, however it is bar to you joining the USAF. Los Angeles County is tough on these offenses and you need to hire someone familiar with the court system. Give me a call if you are interested in a consultation.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis


read closer. . . he SHIPPED the drugs interstate and has a warrant for intent to sell!


Also in agreement. Get a drug test to show no drugs in your system and every month until this is resolved, the test results may help your attorney negotiate this case.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.