Skip to main content

How can I go about reducing the amount of fines I owe for traffic citations?

El Centro, CA |

I have a lot of old traffic citations that I am trying to get cleared up, but there are so many and amount to so much its been impossible to get them all paid to get my drivers license reinstated. Is there any way that I can get the debt reduced so that I can get my license back sooner? I owed about $7,000 but paid nearly $1700 so far. What can I do to get my license back?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should hire an attorney to help you. But you may be able to do to get the out of warrant status and get on payment plans, get an abstract to clear the holds and then just make payments. If you have too many, you may have to deal with the DMV in a negligent operator hearing, but get an attorney to help.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


You can try going to the court where each ticket was issued and speak with a clerk to see if any of your tickets are eligible for a court date. If any are eligible then schedule a court date and speak with the judge. You may be able to still contest some tickets or get tickets reduced or request community service. There are other options too - best consult with a traffic ticket attorney.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.


Only a judge can reduce them. If you are in Los Angeles do jail time, it will not be long due to overcrowding and the nonseriousness of traffic fines, maybe a few days

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer