Skip to main content

How can I go about finding out about how to get my child support reduced?

San Antonio, TX |

Going thru divorce and child custody battle with my husband. He was giving temporary child custody and now I have to pay him child support. With having to pay him I am left with noting to live off of for the month.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


What does your lawyer say? Hire one if you don't have one.

Support should be set at a percentage of your take home pay. It should not take all of it.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.


If you have nothing the live off of then maybe he needs to be paying you maintenance support. You need to discuss these issues with your attorney or hire an aggressive attorney. You don't give us any facts that are important to your case.


I agree with the prior posts. Your child support should not be all of your income , it should be a percentage. Use the find a lawyer tab at the top of the page to find a lawyer in your area. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible to determine if there is a way to change and/or contest the temporary orders.

This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship.


File a motion to modify the temporary orders.

This does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Dallas, Denton, Collin and Tarrant County, Texas practice area. Principal office located in Lake Dallas, Texas.


If you do not have an attorney yet, you need to find one quickly. Temporary orders set the tone for the rest of your case, and now you are going to be going uphill to get things changed. Ask friends and family for help with your legal fees if needed or check with Texas Rio Grande legal aid to see if they can assist you.

This is answer is not intended to provide you with legal advice, because I'm not aware of all the details of your situation. However, please feel free to contact me to discuss this matter further, and best of luck resolving your family law issue.