Skip to main content

How can i get social security number, so i can get a job.

Tacoma, WA |

I'm married to an american citizen.after applying for green card (I-130) the case status is post decision activity.I received I-797 (notice of action).

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It isn't clear from your question if you only filed the I-130 petition, or if you are eligible for/applied for adjustment of status as well (I-485). If you were eligible for adjustment, and you applied for it, you should have simultaneously filed an I-765 for employment authorization, because in that situation you are allowed employment authorization until there is a final decision on the case. If you don't qualify to adjust in the U.S., then you don't qualify for employment authorization. The Social Security Admin. wants to see the employment authorization to give you a social security number. You might be seeing now that the cases are quite involved. I think you would benefit from having a qualified immigration lawyer assist you.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You should wait for the EAD Card (I-765). Once approved go and get a social security number from the SSA.

Garmo Law Group, PLLC (Michigan) 248-626-0050. This advice is only general in nature and does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. Speak to an experienced attorney before making decisions.


Once you get your EAD, you apply for a social security card.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements


By first filing for adjustment of status and employment authorization, and then having the employment authorization in hand. These could all have been filed with the I-130.

You really need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case, before you make a more serious mistake. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer