Skip to main content

How can i get rid of a bench warrant with out going to jail?

Gardena, CA |

i went to court but never paid for the fines, it has been more than 7 years and now i have a bench warrant! i can't afford a lawyer. How can i get rid of my bench warrant with out going to jail?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to see an attorney but if you can't get one ay be call the court, see what amount of money resolves it and go pay it...

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.


First of all, it depends on what the underlying criminal conviction was. If you were convicted of a felony and had fines to pay, you're going to want to go to the public defender's office wherever you were convicted and talk to them about it. If it was just a simple misdemeanor, like a DUI, you could consider getting the money for ALL of the fine together, then going to the courthouse and asking to be added on calendar by the clerk of court, making it clear you are READY TO PAY IMMEDIATELY. If it was just a simple misdemeanor and you can pay the whole fine, you'll probably-- that's PROBABLY, no guarantees, no promises-- be able to avoid going into custody, get the bench warrant cleared, and be on your way. If it was a felony, I wouldn't touch it without a lawyer, which is why I say go to the Public Defender's office.