Skip to main content

How can I get proof that I expunged a charge off of my record, I lost my papers.

Nashville, TN |

I filed for expungement and they sent me the papers in the mail. They were expunged, but in some systems its still showing up. I need them as soon as possible I'm trying to get government housing. I called the clerks office and they said the files are always shredded after an expungement

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You might contact the attorney who represented you & request their assistance. Also, maybe the prosecutor's office has a copy of the record. I would of course first contact your original attorney - or consult with a local criminal attorney who is familiar with the court procedures. I am not licensed in TN & am not familiar with their laws & procedures. Good Luck ( & make extra copies when you obtain the records)

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


The clerk is correct. Files are shredded once the expungement is done. You may be able to contact the TBI to get copies but I'm not sure if they keep copies or not. Your original attorney should have copies so contact them.

"Nothing in this communication is meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf unless you have have hired me and entered into a written retainer agreement. I am only licensed in Tennessee and I suggest contacting an attorney in your specific city and state as soon as possible to avoid any statute of limitations deadlines, if applicable."


I would add that it's possible that the government properly expunged your record but that it keeps appearing in private databases. While an expungement order requires government agencies to remove any reference to your charges that are available to the general public, there is no way to require private companies to remove this information. And unfortunately, in this day of technology, there are many companies that track everyone who is arrested and provide that information to potential employers and others for a fee. It is possible that the private companies records is what is giving you a problem and not the public records.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer