Skip to main content

How can i get my status back? i m out of status can an employer sponsor me?

Houston, TX |

hello, i want to know i was on h4 dependent visa a year ago because my dad got laid off the job so therefore now i am out of status but i want to marry a guy who is not a citizen but he works in a good company. He has H1 visa to legally work and stay here in US. I was thinking is there anyway i could get my status back after marrying him, since he got H1 visa can i be in H4 dependent visa again. If not then what i can probably do? i am right now going to school and will be graduating from engineering school in 2 years. I seriously need an effective help and a complete answer about it... that what should i do about it?... i dont want to leave him... but i need to get back into status...what if his employer offers him a green card in a year?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You might have problems. You should talk to an immigration attorney who will probably advise you on the pros/cons of leaving & getting a new visa to come back. -- -- Senior Legal Counsel -- Capriotti International Law -- Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Contact the American Immigration Lawyers Association for a referral to an experienced immigration attorney.



can i get a legal status back or there is noway out till he turns a US citizen...


HOw old are you? How long have you been out of status? These are key factors

For more immigration info, please see

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at



i am 19 and i was out of status for 1 year


Not without leaving the US. However, if you have been out of status for at least 180 days after your 18th birthday, if you leave the US, you will trigger a bar from returning.

You really need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.



so i should not be leaving US now right?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer