Skip to main content

How can i get my sons last name changed on Birth Certificate and Social Security card? We have a court order for the change.

Tifton, GA |

In 2008 my son's last name was changed to my last name in court. We have the court order but can not seem to get any help from ANYONE on exactly what to do to get this information changed. The Social Securirty office says that we need to have it changed on his birth certificate first, but vital records says we need to go to the Social Security office. 7 months ago I sent my son's original birth certificate along with a copy of the court order to vital records with a letter describing the modifications that it needed but I still have not heard anything back.

Any advice on what I need to do would be much appreciated!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


(If you cannot click on the below links, please cut and paste in your browser):
Here is a link to instructions on changing your son's name on his Social Security card:

As for changing his name on the birth certificate, you should contact your local office of vital statistics. Here is a link to Georgia's Vital Records website: